RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: OSNews
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:17 pm 

Speaking of memory options - is there anything out there to turn those common PC memory sticks into a something useful for low pin-count scenarios? I have a lot of 256 MB etc DIMM sticks in my junk box...

-jcw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 pm 
Contributor

Jaromir created a pic32mx based stuff running linux, he used those old dimm dram sticks in a bitbanged way..
He also created the sdram (a single 16MByte sdram chip) based board for retrobsd (madscifi made the bitbanged driver for it). I did test it long time back and it worked fine. The read/write speed about 3MB/sec with pic32mx @80MHz.
Low count pin stuff - ie. PMP bus - you may take an FPGA, connect it to few sdram dimm sticks, and create a pic32mx/mz's PMP compatible interface. A nice project for upcoming long winter evenings.. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 pm 
Committer

jcw wrote:
It's not Christmas yet, but I'd be very interested in a port to ARM, in particular to the new STM32 F7 Discovery kit. See: http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM1 ... 8/PF261641

Nice board.
It would be great if somebody took the challenge and ported LiteBSD to Cortex-M architecture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 pm 

Quote:
Nice board.
It would be great if somebody took the challenge and ported LiteBSD to Cortex-M architecture.

A good approach if someone is interested in porting to this board would be to port to the STM32F4 Discovery board first, and then proceed to do the F7 port, The reason is that the F4 has a segmented memory architecture that is simpler than that of the F7. One developer claims the F7 cpu ran hotter than the F4, but that could be to other reasons, like not using the halt instruction or frequency scaling.

But they're fairly cheap boards, and very complete (LCD, ethernet, etc.).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:01 pm 

Just for the record: I should have checked for posts about the STM32F7 on this forum - there is one here, for example - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37284

-jcw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:01 pm 

And if you're looking for a low-end break-out board for the STM32F746 - there's this: http://sustburbia.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0 ... 2f746.html