RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 pm 
Contributor

@wesbrown18: Welcome on board!
@Robert: I run all the stuff till feb2015 on an XP. I was able to upload via pic32prog to pic32mx sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm 

Pito wrote:
I run all the stuff till feb2015 on an XP. I was able to upload via pic32prog to pic32mx sure.

this was with pic32prog communicating directly with the STK500v2 bootloader on the pic32mx?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm 
Contributor

Hmm :? I am using the standard fubarino bootloaders.
Enclosed a file I've found on my hdd together with pic32prog..

Attachments:
Stk500v2.zip [1.24 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 pm 

i'm using the bootloader from here:
https://github.com/sergev/pic32-usb-bootloader/tree/master/pinguino-micro

have just tried your Stk500v2.inf file, but the VID/PID do not match the Olimex board. even after editing the VID/PID in the .inf file to match the board, it still does not work - the USB device fails to 'start up'.

is there anyone out there with a Olimex PIC32-RetroBSD board who is able to test it out with pic32prog under XP? no need to actually program anything, just get into the bootloader and then run pic32prog with no parameters.

cheers,
rob :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am 
Contributor

Do you have pic32mx795f512L on the board?
Does you crystal oscillate at 8MHz?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:19 am 

it is actually a 512H, the 64-pin package, and the crystal is indeed 8MHz. the board is absolutely identical to the board pictured in the first posting of this thread.

i've done some more testing, and can confirm that the windows version of pic32prog 2.0.186 does NOT function with the bootloader under Windows 7 or Windows 10 either. in both cases the same error message as before comes up:
Code:
hidboot: error -1 receiving packet

this leads one to the conclusion that either (1) something is wrong with the HID support on pic32prog when talking to (at least) this specific bootloader, or, (2) there is something wrong with the bootloader itself.

note: i never tried using pic32prog to talk to the bootloader that shipped preloaded from Olimex. i jumped in and followed serge's instructions ("How to replace the bootloader") that were in an earlier posting to this thread.

at this point in time the board is now functioning and running retro BSD as i was able to use pic32prog under linux to load the kernal onto the board. this pretty much confirms that the processor and crystal are all happy. but it still remains that without using linux i can not update the kernal again (some folks would see this as a good thing!)

cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 am 
Committer

Hi Robert,

Please try this version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sergev/pic32prog/master/pic32prog.exe
I believe I finally have fixed this issue. It was a Windows-specific bug in USB HID routine: incorrectly initialized event descriptor. The bug has been introduced a few months ago. Starting from rev489, all later RetroBSD versions will contain a correct pic32prog binary.

Thanks,
--Serge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 am 

brilliant! that fixes the problem, at least under windows XP. i'll be able to check it works under windows 7 and 10 some time next week, but am confident that it should be ok given that XP now works fine.

i think the bug may have been present for far longer than you realize, it was present way back in a copy of version 1.98 that i last compiled in november 2014.

cheers,