Committer

Latest LiteBSD binaries are available from the new autobuild server:

http://litebsd.org/wiki/autobuild.php

Supported boards:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 am 
Contributor

Hi Serge,

Very nice. Solves lots of problems :).

I do have one suggestion. How about the addition of all the executables only.

The idea being to download a small file with the latest emg or smaller c version to test on your already installed version?

I suppose at some point that might become an emg.deb sort of thing where you download the ready to install binary package?

Nice work :).

Wiz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:09 am 
Committer

Location: Room 217, Floor 8, Arm 8, Wheel S7, Mars Base Alpha 3
Porting apt and dpkg would be a very nice thing to do - although that would be too "linuxy". Better would be to use FreeBSD's "pkg" system (I can't recall where they got that from but it was from some other BSD I think)

Once we have a stable and fully usable built in compiler we could at least create a "ports" tree like FreeBSD has (and most other BSD systems by one name or another) so you can compile packages directly inside LiteBSD.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:46 am 
Contributor

The Citilab board is a nice creation. You do not need schematics to read the wiring :)
In the next revision I would place a few leds from the bottom side to illuminate the artwork in the dark..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 pm 
Committer

Hi Wiz, Matt and Igor.
wiz wrote:
I do have one suggestion. How about the addition of all the executables only.
The idea being to download a small file with the latest emg or smaller c version to test on your already installed version?
Good idea! I added a binary-only package, which is essentially a contents of the root filesystem packed into a ZIP file, so it's easy to extract any needed application.

For example, see package: binaries-2015-08-28.zip

wiz wrote:
I suppose at some point that might become an emg.deb sort of thing where you download the ready to install binary package?
I'm being thinking about it for a while. We need some kind of a mechanism to install and upgrade applications via network, from some kind of remote repository, centralized or distributed. Unfortunately, widely known solutions like Debian dpkg or FreeBSD pkgng are huge in size. We need something more lightweight, like opkg.

With such kind of package manager, the need for a native compiler becomes much less critical, as it's easy to build an application on your workstation and then install/upgrade it via network on the target LiteBSD system.

Pito wrote:
The Citilab board is a nice creation. You do not need schematics to read the wiring :)
That's true! It's a single-layer PCB, easy to view all the connections.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 pm 
Contributor

Hi Serge and all,

Regards a 'package manager'. I very much agree with "make whatever simple and easy to understand".

For me just being able to see what was 'installed' and where in a simple text file would be sufficient to do a manual undo.

Right now, I am now wondering about using LiteBSD to do some simple web interfaced stuff?

No huge stack system, just something simple and minimal to get the job done.

How about a real time data display on a generic WIFI phone for a beginning?

Wiz