RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: EBI Musings
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:07 pm 
Committer

Location: Room 217, Floor 8, Arm 8, Wheel S7, Mars Base Alpha 3
I am thinking about implementing the EBI as a driver.

I am in two minds about how to do it. I could either:

1. Have a master "ebi" device, then individual devices that hang off it specifying the addresses, etc, or
2. Have up to 4 individual "ebi" devices which specify the addresses, and you attach devices to them.

Basically a choice between something like:

Code:
controller      ebi     iomem 0x1000000 iosiz 16 # 24 address lines, 16 bit data
device          sram    at ebi iomem 0x20000000 iosiz 0x400000 # 4MB SRAM at 0x2000000

and:

Code:
controller      ebi0     iomem 0x20000000 iosiz 0x400000 flags 0x0001 # 4MB device at 0x20000000, 16 bit data
device          sram    at ebi0 iosiz 0x400000 # 4MB SRAM device using ebi0's chip select and addressing

In the former you configure the whole bus and it's the device's responsibility to carve it up. In the latter you carve the bus up and then attach devices to the carved up chunks.

I'm not sure which would be the best way to go. Thoughts?

Hi, by the way - been a while ;)

Post subject: Re: EBI Musings
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 pm 

I think the first would be better for generic drivers, but i don't know what EBI is :)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 pm 
Contributor

Hi Matt,

Not sure what EBI is and is not. That said, I too have been thinking of some sort of bus.

It would be nice to just plug something in, custom hardware or whatever and have it 'just' appear on the system / web.

There lots of ideas out there. Is there something simple, easy to understand, etc.

It seems to me that a few wires go out in parallel from the 'system', including power. I plug whatever into this 'bus' and it is ready to send and receive data.

Some simple Unix type idea that 'just works'.

Glad to see your note.

Wiz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm 
Committer

The EBI is the External Bus Interface - basically an 8086-like system bus. There's 4 dedicated CS pins for 4 address blocks (you can of course subdivide it manually if you like). So there's basically 4 devices, and you get to specify where within the EBI memory block those 4 devices are mapped, and how big a memory area they consume within that block.

So it's basically a question of do I define the bus and embed the device configurations inside the target device drivers, or define the devices and pass those to the target device drivers...

Or there is a third option - I could define just one device that covers the whole EBI memory block and divide it up manually...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am 
Contributor

Hi Matt,

Oh I see. The CS problem seems to always need more wires.

Not sure I see a 'simple' solution. The problem area seems to be that the main CPU would like a simple test that a given peripheral needs attention and thus a dedicated wire?

The early systems I have looked at memory or i/o mapped this bit of information. So the main CPU didn't have much overhead and could be doing more useful work rather than polling flags.

Lots of fun :).

Wiz

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:18 pm 
Committer

Maybe I will go for the third option actually - keep it all in software. Just define one single CS block that covers the whole memory area and allow as many devices within it as you like. Makes it more flexible. Then it's down to the device driver itself to define the memory area it's working with. It'd make the control of the EBI module somewhat simpler - just turn it on and leave it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:39 am 
Contributor

EBI driver for pic32mx or mz?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 pm 
Committer

Two clues for you:

1. We are in the forum "Board index » LiteBSD - Unix for microcontrollers with MMU » Kernel and Drivers"
2. The MX doesn't have EBI

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:21 am 
Contributor

Hi Matt,

I finally got around to reading about EBI on the PIC. Seems to me it might be pretty useful for i/o types of things. Along the lines of what I was talking about earlier. I want a fast way that the PIC can read a memory location and tell whether the peripheral has its flag set, has new data, etc.

It is not clear to me how fast EBI really is and also it seems like a HUGE waste of pins on the PIC.

That said some sort of 8 bit address, 8 bit data might make some sense but also appears to be reverting the the many parallel wires of the 8088 era? I am not sure what advantage this really gives to a product?

For me the idea of plugging in some custom gizmo and having it appear in the PIC memory and also on the web 'automatically' in some simple way would be pretty useful when doing custom stuff.

Then I could add 'drivers' to post process this raw data into other perhaps more useful forms. Raw temp. becomes degrees F comes to mind.

Some PICs are pretty cheap so maybe they could be used for a cheap 'foundation module'? It would be especially nice if they could be soft programmed and reprogrammed when attached. That seems pretty far from possible at this point?

Warm regards,

Wiz

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:37 am 
Committer

The main use I would get out of the EBI is connecting a TFT screen with a 16-bit parallel (8086) interface. Connecting a big chunk of RAM would also be nice.

The advantage of the EBI over, say, SQI (which gives similar memory mapping functionality) is that of speed. SQI gives a 4x speed improvement over SPI (but only half duplex, but that's fine), and EBI gives a 4x speed improvement over SQI.

The slew rate on the IO pins of the PIC32MZ limits them to about 50MHz (ish) operation, which is the limit the SQI interface can run at, and I guess the EBI will be about the same.

The memory mapping side of things, of course, also means that code can be executed out of external RAM or ROM (though of course not as fast as internal memory, but faster than SQI).

At present I'm using the PMP for high speed TFT screen access, but I'd like to switch to using the EBI (which uses the same pins) at some point to see if it gives me faster and more fluid access (reading data with the PMP is a bit of a pain, it's always one transaction out - you read the byte you got during the previous transaction, not the one from the current transaction).

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:29 pm 
Contributor

Hi Matt,

Sounds like a nice idea :).

I have been thinking more along the lines of a cheap fone with browser as the LCD interface to our PICs. Still have yet to get it running usefully though.

I have been wondering what kind of peripheral an old laptop with a cracked screen might be for our retrobsd/litebsd boxes?

I have a stack of them. I suppose we all do? Maybe we could get a cluster going in some easy way?

Maybe mine bitcoin or do some other compute job?

warm regards,
John

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:07 pm 
Committer

There's no point in mining bitcoins any more. The electricity costs more than the value of the coins.

What to do with a laptop with a broken screen? Plug a monitor into it and install Linux.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm 
Contributor

Hi Matt and Pito and Serge,

I am thinking of putting retrobsd on MZ. Seems like it isn't too hard. Any comments or suggestions.

From what I can see MZ still has a lot of RAM compared to the other obvious choices?

Wiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm 
Contributor

Go for it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 am 
Contributor

Hi Pito,

Got some sketches that might work.

Now onto the PCB.

Been a long time....

Kicad or proven old tools?

I wonder what Serge is up to these days?

Wiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 am 
Contributor

Quote:
I wonder what Serge is up to these days?

Serge is well and blogging at his blog.. :)