RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 am 
Committer

chipKIT WF32 is nice Arduino-compatible board with microSD slot, Wi-Fi and extra USB interface. Unfortunately, by itself it's pretty useless for RetroBSD, as the SD card is connected not to SPI port, but to generic GPIO pins.

Attachment:
chipKIT_WF32.jpg
chipKIT_WF32.jpg [ 48.14 KiB | Viewed 12916 times ]

It's possible with a shield though. A cheap and widely available 2.4" LCD TFT display shield turns WF32 into a featured RetroBSD platform, with additional microSD socket attached to SPI2 port, and color graphics display with touchscreen. The shield is available from many web stores, like Amazon ($12), eBay ($8) and AliExpress ($5).

Attachment:
lcd-sd-shield-front.jpg
lcd-sd-shield-front.jpg [ 24.71 KiB | Viewed 12917 times ]
Attachment:
lcd-sd-shield-back.jpg
lcd-sd-shield-back.jpg [ 33.31 KiB | Viewed 12917 times ]

All you need to build a kernel is to go to sys/pic32/wf32 directory and run make. Don't forget to check the jumper JP3 on main board: it should be in PWM position (pin 10 connected to signal RD4).

It should be possible to control the display via existing gpio driver. I had not tried it yet.

This board is good for development of USB driver (host mode, OTG etc), as the console is directed to UART1 and leaves USB port free for experiments.

There is no support for Wi-Fi in the kernel, but it's possible to use it on the level of user application. Makes sense to port the chipKIT Wi-Fi library.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:15 pm 
Contributor

Hi Serge,

Sounds like a new toy to add to my collection :).

It would be VERY nice if the wifi could do peer-to-peer networking as in BATMAN, and even nicer if it would give you the packets received and allow you to send whatever packets so you could really tell what was going on the RF. The graphic LCD could be MOST helpful for those kinds of things too.

Sounds like these PCBs might be worth considering?

Lots of fun :).

Wiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm 
Contributor

Hi Serge,

Just realized that this is an MX board not an MZ board.

So, does the LCD work meaningfully with the MZ board?

Also, ethernet is 'really' needed.... and what about that?

I assume you are close to having the MZ work with ethernet?

Well I am sure you get my drift :) :). Ethernet, LCD, 2nd SD for making backups and storing data and removing the live SD and replacing it with the next one. All without a glitch :)....

More toys to play with.

Lots of fun !!

Wiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 pm 
Committer

Hi Wiz,

Yes, WF32 is MX7 board. It can still make sense for some applications.

As for MZ - you mean chipKIT WiFire board - it's possible to use the LCD shield with it. You will have a second microSD card at SPI2 port, and color graphics display with touchscreen.

Currently I'm gradually working on Ethernet driver for MZ (using Microchip MEB-II board). Need a few weeks to finish it.

--Serge