RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 am 

Ok, I feel ashamed of myself, but finally gave up and got to the point where I need to ask for some help.
Finally I found some time and have been trying to make my CGMMSTICK1 to work. Here is what I am doing:
First I wrote the image file onto a SD card. Then tried to program the micro with many different HEX files: unix.hex from the -r348 Maximite archive, maximite-860.hex, maximite-860-bootloader (is that a boot loader only?). I also tried to program the original Maximite firmware first and then the others... no luck.
Bootloader.exe was never able to find the device no matter what I do.
My system is Win7/64, no issues with the drivers at all.
Any suggestions/explanation would be great.
Thanks!

PS. preparing my own hardware for it, but I wanted to try with something already tested first...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm 
Contributor

I would recommend you to install the retrobsd environment and try to compile an existing board. When ok, just create a new board based on maximite or fubarino, we can help you with the setup details then..
What you need as the first step is to install the bootloader, bootloader needs to know where is the LED and boot_select pin located. After the bootloader is alive and working you may start tackle the unix.
You may flash the unix.hex straight, w/o use of the bootloader.

Provided you board is maximite compatible did you try this?

http://code.google.com/p/retrobsd/downl ... e-r348.zip

A lot of ready builds:

http://autobuild.majenko.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

I tried all the suitable builds. The problem is that there is no sign of life after I flash the HEX: no LEDs and no response via USB or UART.
It is not a hardware problem for sure. Just to prove that in the simplest possible way, when I restore the MMBasic code, the module works fine.
When I install maximite-bootloader-860.hex, one of the LEDs is blinking, but Bootloader.exe is still unable to find the target. Maximite-860.hex, Maximite-778.hex and unix.hex from -r348 apparently do nothing that I could see.
Maybe I will have to try building from the source? I really didn't expect to take that route straight away...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 pm 
Contributor

Quote:
When I install maximite-bootloader-860.hex, one of the LEDs is blinking, but Bootloader.exe is still unable to find the target.

Well, not sure now, but what happens when you use the pic32prog instead of the Bootloader.exe?

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\pito>"C:\Documents and Settings\pito\Desktop\Programming\pic32prog\pic32prog.exe"

Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 1.74
Copyright: (C) 2011-2012 Serge Vakulenko
Adapter: HID Bootloader
Program area: 1d005000-1d07ffff
Processor: Bootloader (id DEAFB00B)
Flash memory: 492 kbytes

C:\Documents and Settings\pito>

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 pm 

I have not used pic32prog, but MPLab. Will try with that one now and share the result later...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 am 

It looks like I've got a dodgy CGMMSTICK1 after all... pic32prog is failing (always during verification) at random places on every attempt. I hadn't noticed that before, but MPlab is also failing (silently). The whole "programming" process takes suspiciously short time - less than a second. It says programming complete, but maybe there is nothing in the chip. After some heating the micro, it managed to program it but again no luck with an actually working system.
Interestingly MMbasic always works, though. It programs for about 10 seconds, which is the normal time to expect.
It looks like I will have to wait a few more days until get my hands on my own boards for further testing.