RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Source restructuring
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm 
Committer

Friends, I would like to propose a restructuring of the source tree. The idea is to move all sources from bin, lib and sbin to a new src directory. 'Make all' should be done in place, and 'make install' will copy the resulting binaries to bin, lib and other places.

It will make it look more like traditional BSD.
--Serge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Contributor

Hi Serge,

Sounds good to me. (Since I don't have much familiarity with traditional BSD.) That said, I really like the way you have done it!

My only real request is to separate out kernel compilation. I am not sure I know exactly what I mean, but the problem I see is:

Since the kernel and the filesystem programs (/bin and friends) are programmed separately, it would be nice to not have to program the whole load unless needed. i.e.- only reprogram kernel what actually needed.

Further along that line: And we may already have this. When doing program mods I like to copy the whole program tree of say adc-demo to adc-demo1 and modify that. In that way when I get way off base, I can recopy to adc-demo2 and either start over or keep what I know was working. It's a work flow I am comfortable with.

So I would like to be able to ONLY recompile adc-demo2 and then upload it via SZ and test it without the usual full reburn cycle. Working on versions of my debugger without this sort of path is VERY painful. When the debugger dies, the world gets difficult very quickly :).

For some of my routines I test in RAM and then later reburn to flash.

I am still fuzzy as to how to do all these steps with retro. That said, except for the compile only adc-demo2 I suspect I am doing them all?

I hope that wasn't too confusing?

Wiz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm 
Contributor

Hi Majenko and Serge,

I see Majenko is doing tty stuff :). Nice.

For me, it would be nice to have some sort of compile provision that would change console baud rate to 4800.

Right now, I edit cons.c and /etc/ttys to do it. Usually I forget for the first cycle and then remember and redo, etc.

Ah yes, probably a different topic :(. Its only 2AM here, so I was up and thought I would see how you were all doing. And am too lazy to figure out the simple instructions you already sent me :). )

Have fun! See you later:) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wiz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm 
Committer

Location: Room 217, Floor 8, Arm 8, Wheel S7, Mars Base Alpha 3
Absolutely, whole heartedly, yes!

I suggest a freeze on all development of existing systems until it is done, otherwise tree merges will be a pain in the rectum.

Until it is done I will only work on small things that I can just copy into the new tree.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Committer

Hi Wiz and Majenko,
I finished restructuring a source tree. At top level, use 'make build' (default) to build a filesystem image, 'make kernel' for unix.hex, and 'make all' for both. For full cleanup, run 'make realclean'.
--Serge