RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LiteBSD WiFIRE support
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:51 pm 

Hi,

What is the status of Microchip WiFi module driver for picKit Wi-FIRE board? Is Wifi driver branch functional at all?
Does LiteBSD include any web server setup, tools for simple c/c++ web app development, can things like tntnet be ported?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:28 am 
Committer

Hi,

belaz wrote:
What is the status of Microchip WiFi module driver for picKit Wi-FIRE board? Is Wifi driver branch functional at all?
Well... in two words: not yet. The driver has been completely refactored relative to the original Digilent sources. I would estimate it as 80% of work done. Two essential features still need to be implemented:
  • sysctl interface to be able to control the driver from the command line (select SSID, password etc)
  • transfer of data packets between the WiFi chip and the IP stack

belaz wrote:
Does LiteBSD include any web server setup, tools for simple c/c++ web app development, can things like tntnet be ported?
Not yet. My intent is to port one of tiny web servers from elsewhere. Tntnet looks like a perfect choice. UECIDE can become a good development platform for such kind of web apps.

There still remain so much work with the base system itself (UVM, shared libraries, /sbin/init replacement etc). I'm afraid in a foreseen future I'll be busy with all this stuff. You are welcome to join the effort and cover the web app area.

Best wishes,
--Serge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:32 am 

Hi Serge,
Very interesting. I was looking for a platform to do (what I was hoping a quick) product development for pretty much a cliche internet of things thermostat with e-mail alerts. To my surprise, it is difficult to find a platform that has everything I need out of the box. So far I found only Microchip Harmony that at least promises to have everything in one package. On the other hand I had not very pleasant experience with Harmony before. LiteBSD seems like a very good platform for such application but I'm not sure that I have time for it at least before delivering the first prototype. I would probably have to deal with Harmony in the meanwhile.
By the way, what was rational for refactoring Digilent WiFi driver? Is their driver and IP stack solid? I see that the stack lacks smtp, but I wonder, in your opinion, is it worth the effort to try to go with Digilent vs Harmony?
Thanks,
-Alexei.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:11 pm 
Committer

Hi Alexei,
belaz wrote:
By the way, what was rational for refactoring Digilent WiFi driver? Is their driver and IP stack solid? I see that the stack lacks smtp, but I wonder, in your opinion, is it worth the effort to try to go with Digilent vs Harmony?

Digilent WiFi driver has been created as a component of Digilent embedded open-source network stack (DEIPcK). I did not try it, neither Harmony, so I cannot tell whether it's reliable enough. I know DEIPcK relies on polling, not on hardware interrupts, for packet delivery.

Best wishes,
--Serge