RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:46 am 

Hello all!!

I ve just recently got FubarinoSD and enjoying RetroBSD with SPI mode ILI9341 by your great code.
Actually it is working fine and thank you so much for sharing it.
Now I have a naive question. Can I use LCD panel for console (shell console) by quick mod or should I make frame buffer for it? If possible I want to make some small computer with LCD display(console) with serial keyboard input.
Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 am 
Committer

Perfect!
As for using the LCD panel as console display, the current gpanel driver does not support this feature. I did not want to complicate it by mixing in the tty functionality. It's definitely possible, but requires some development effort. Actually, it's better not to extend the gpanel.c file, but to create a new file (like gpanel-tty.c) and implement a console device here. I would recommend to use a device name like /dev/glcd1 and handle a write access to it as ASCII characters and ANSI escapes, drawing them on the LCD screen. Read accesses can be forwarded to some UART port (or even Bluetooth dongle) connected to a keyboard. When properly parameterized, this driver can be pretty generic and work with any LCD display.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:24 pm 

Thank you for reply! Actually just supporting graphic panel is already very useful for embedded application. I would try implementing step by step (maybe somebody else will do quicker work than me, though..). Thank you again!