RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:07 am 
Contributor

Also, emg -current (on GitHub) has some new things--like automatic window sizing.
I'd be interested in seeing if it works on real hw (the auto-sizing doesn't work on the virtualmips pic32, but that I expect).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:42 pm 
Contributor

Hi Ibara,

Not clear whether you meant by virtual MIPS the simulator or the real PIC32 hardware.

At least here using minicom on my real PIC32, resizing doesn't appear to work. (When I expand the minicom window the active size of the image does not change.)

Wiz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:29 pm 
Committer

Location: Room 217, Floor 8, Arm 8, Wheel S7, Mars Base Alpha 3
It's doubtful anything would ever happen. The terminal size is set in the termcap file and not by the serial terminal program. There isn't normally a way to query the size of the window the terminal program is running in. Yes, there are some extensions to the ANSI protocol that could do that kind of thing (such as XTerm supplies), but they are custom and not supported by anything much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:42 pm 
Contributor

Yes, there's no resizing. But if you were to maximize your minicom window and THEN launch emg, it should fill the entire terminal.

Let me know if it doesn't do that... I still need to scrounge around for a new microSD card for my MAX32...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:26 am 
Committer

Location: Room 217, Floor 8, Arm 8, Wheel S7, Mars Base Alpha 3
Normally window size queries are only available through network protocols, like telnet (IAC SB NAWS) or ssh. Through serial it's not as easy, and I am not aware of any mechanism in RetroBSD to do that. The terminal size is typically vard-coded in /etc/termcap:
Code:
:co#80:li#24:

You can check the size the system thinks your screen is with the "tput" command:

Code:
$ tput lines
$ tput cols

There is no termcap code for receiving the size of the window if it's ever sent, so how it can interpret anything like that I can't imagine. Note that the xterm package on Linux comes with a special custom utility "resize" which queries the parent xterm for the size and sets the LINES and COLUMNS shell variables. That's because there is no standard mechanism for doing it through serial so resize uses the xterm custom escape sequences which termcap knows nothing at all about. Most useful when you're connecting to a remote system through "tip" or "cu" and you have a direct route to the xterm you're running in (no terminal emulator like minicom in the way).

I don't have a retro machine running right now to test the real results on though...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm 
Contributor

Hi Ibara and Matt,

I just started emg from a large minicom window on my PIC32 system

Emg acts like it is in 80x25 despite the bigger window.

To me this is not a big issue. Handling huge files gracefully is higher up on my list.

When I try to open a huge file, the system goes to sleep :).

It probably needs some rest?

Lots of fun. And thanks Ibara for the neat new editor to play with.

Wiz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6