RetroBSD

2.11BSD operating system for microcontrollers
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm 
Contributor

Pito wrote:
The bar is now at 23rd line (80x24), it survives the scrolling. But it is not the bottom bar.. :D
Thanks!

It's not supposed to be the bottom bar. It's the mode line. It's an Emacs thing.

Pito wrote:
Hmm, tried the "Position report"
^X =
I get following info, line number is missing..

This is known, and exactly what the code does. The best you have is the % of how far down the document you are (98% in your case there). I need to figure out why some of those numbers are so broken.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 pm 
Contributor

I am not requesting a rewrite of the emg code, only stating the information on the current line a number is fundamental to have, I would say. Of course, for an occasional editing of a short script or a makefile it may stay as is without the line number. Editing a 300 lines long source would be a pain, however..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:23 pm 
Contributor

Hi again Pito --

I took a look yesterday afternoon into getting line numbers in the mode line. And now I have an emg with rudimentary line number display. It's not bug-free yet (searching and other large jumps don't update correctly yet) but the infrastructure is there.

It grew the binary a bit (it's now about 34K) but I think I will remove some functions I personally don't use, like the go to beginning/end of paragraph, to help bring it down some.

Stay tuned!

~Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:30 am 
Contributor

I released emg 1.5 today. This release sees the introduction of line numbers in the mode line, thanks to Pito for requesting this. You can also now jump to any line number with M-G.

There is one outstanding bug: searching for a string doesn't update the line number. You can reset it by M-G and the line number you want to go to. This will be fixed in a future version.

Unfortunately, emg has grown quite significantly in size. The binary is now a little over 44K. Still much better than VIrus, but not as good as I'd like. I've also stripped out some expensive movement functions that are now more expensive with the line number logic. Check the updated emg.keys to see what's been changed. I will be more aggressive with stripping movement functions to get the binary size down. Now that M-G can take you to any arbitary line, there's little need for other complex movements.

Get it at the usual places:
http://devio.us/~bcallah/emg/emg-1.5.tar.gz (source tarball)
http://devio.us/~bcallah/emg/emg (binary)
https://github.com/ibara/emg (source repo)

~Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am 
Contributor

Line number works now! Nice!
It is a miracle to me how it could fit into 44k :)

I think a standard retrobsd user will use maybe 10% of the functionality there (ie in Teraterm I can use arrows for moving free inside the text, inserting/backspace works, it seems). So I can imagine a lot of current functionality could be stripped off.

^X = still shows weird numbers, I would start columns counting from 1.

Multiple windows freezes/crashes when moving inside with arrows or trying to go into 2nd window. Also line number in the inactive window is weird. Maybe a good candidate to get rid of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:36 pm 
Contributor

Pito wrote:
^X = still shows weird numbers, I would start columns counting from 1.

Unsurprising, I'll probably reduce that to just ratio and column. And actually, numbering columns from 0 is the standard here - even big GNU Emacs does that - so I think I'll leave it for compatibility's sake.

Pito wrote:
Multiple windows freezes/crashes when moving inside with arrows or trying to go into 2nd window. Also line number in the inactive window is weird. Maybe a good candidate to get rid of.

Hmm... I'll look into that. I'll admit to releasing 1.5 without any testing because I didn't have access to my MAX32 over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 pm 
Contributor

Hi all,

Using emg every day. Sweet.

Any later versions available?

Search feature on website doesn't appear to work?

Wiz

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:17 pm 
Contributor

Hi Pito,

I did load emg-1.5. Yup got line numbers :).

Unfortunately page up and down don't work :(.

Thanks.

Wiz

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:10 pm 
Contributor

Hi, I'm still here.

I plan on continuing to work on emg, just haven't found the time lately.
But I will take patches against the github tree if someone wants to tackle issues before I get around to them.

I'm also happy to donate emg to the main RetroBSD tree if people think it'll be easier to work on that way.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:53 am 
Committer

Hi Brian,

I added emg to the master source tree.
See commit https://github.com/RetroBSD/retrobsd/commit/b3abe580bda2909c04ce6fba28829e1f5577bdbe.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:48 am 
Contributor

Great! I guess I need to whip up a new QEMU image and get back to work on this! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:06 pm 
Contributor

emg 1.6 is sitting as a pull request for the RetroBSD tree.
This adds PgUp and PgDn scrolling, and the % display should now be correct (please ping me if it's not).
32-bit version lightly tested: 16-bit tests welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:04 pm 
Contributor

This post is a roadmap of emg:
* Now that emg is in the RetroBSD tree, I am planning on removing the binaries and tarballs from my personal site. You should only be using what's at HEAD anyway.

* I am leaving my github repo up as a *mirror* of the RetroBSD tree. This is for pull request convenience (so you don't have to pull all of RetroBSD if you want to make a tweak to emg). However, I will not push anything to that tree until after it has been committed to the RetroBSD tree. This is to deter people from preferring the emg from my tree instead of from RetroBSD's tree.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:59 pm 
Contributor

Hi bcallah,

So, where do I find 1.6? I looked on github and your sites but didn't win the lottery.

Maybe it's on RetroBSD somewhere? I'll look around there next.

I use emg everyday! Very nice! Line numbers would make it quicker to find my bad lines.

And maybe a way to see emg's available buffer size -- How big a file can I edit?

I get much smaller compile size with -mips16 so I guess the buffer size would be bigger?

Wiz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:25 pm 
Contributor

Go to the RetroBSD tree itself, it's sitting in a pull request. Where you can also see me ramble to myself. It's also in my own fork of RetroBSD (https://github.com/ibara/retrobsd) but I'd rather see people get it from the main repo, just to prevent accidental version forking.

Line/column numbers (with % display) are in the version sitting as a pull request. It also has PgUp/PgDn support. You can also move to any line in a file with the command M-G.

Buffer size I have not done any exhaustive testing: I really don't know the answer to that. But if you have physical hardware, you should be compiling emg with -mips16 since it will save you about 10K in size. A smaller binary will give you more RAM space with which to edit files.

Glad to see emg is useful.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:26 pm 
Contributor

Hi Ibara,

While I hate to admit it, I have no idea how to get to the 'pull request' part of the website? Or how to send modification requests to the site, etc.

For me a gzip 1.6 rev. number file would be nice. I tend to think that way.

I am now marking my RetroBSD downloads with the download date in lieu of a revision number. Then I make a working copy of that download and compile and work on that. In this way I can locally revert if needed. Seems to work.

There is probably a MUCH better way?

Wiz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:55 pm 
Contributor

I've put up a tarball matching what's waiting for mainline here: http://devio.us/~bcallah/emg/emg-1.6.tar.gz

I want to stop doing this though and encourage everyone to use the emg in mainline in order to reduce the chance of accidental splits.

I'm also definitely not the right person to ask about git. The only revision control I know with any degree of confidence is cvs, for the obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:36 pm 
Contributor

Brian, would it be possible to put the bin version into the tar as well, plz?
For me, a lazy guy :P
PS: emg is great! I can edit even the fstab with it! All others made me crazy because of the TAB.

Quote:
you should be compiling emg with -mips16 since it will save you about 10K in size

Frankly, with our hw I would encourage everybody to compile everything (except the kernel) with -mips16 (we did it already, it works).

Maybe it shall be the default compiler setting.

The code runs slower by few percent then, but the smaller code gets (re)loaded faster from/into ram/swap. The most important for us is the space savings - 15-25% is tremendous amount for us today with the pic32mx.
As the speed penalty related dispute - we do not compete with P7 (yet..).

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:33 pm 
Contributor

Hi ibara and Pito,

emg-1.6 works GREAT ! Many Thanks :).

emg-1.6 is 43428 here and the emg I was using is 28588. I think my old version is 1.3 or 1.4.

FWIW the 'end' button works fine, but the home button doesn't. Probably something simple? Not that big a deal.

I seem to be able to open mmc.c at 15612 bytes. But not hexedit.c.with 20360 bytes hangs with [Reading File] and requires a power down reboot :(.

My older version of emg opens hexedit.c without a problem.

So I guess at some point the program 'ought' to be modified to die gracefully on big files, etc.

Having line numbers along with pg up and down makes things much quicker here!

Thanks again :) :).

Wiz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 pm 
Contributor

Pito: The tarball from my previous post now has a binary in it.

wiz: What compiler are you using? I'm on gcc-4.8.1 and emg is 42300. That's a rather significant difference.

I may drop [Home] and [End] functionality to save a few bytes (you can do the same with M-< and M->). [PgUp] and [PgDn] feel more useful and probably worth keeping (though you can do ^V and M-V to get the same results).

Yes, the older emg releases will be significantly smaller. Adding line number functionality is costly. What would be nice is to comb through and remove everything non-essential. I still don't think that would reduce the size back down to earlier versions though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next